Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Suddenly Joyous

There are precious few moments in life that can be classified as "sublime".
For a moment to be sublime it must inherently be ephemeral, fleeting.
Fading even as it rushes past you, through you.
I had no reason to feel inexplicably happy this afternoon, and yet I was, suddenly joyous.
I couldn't contain it; a smile spread across my lips and I laughed out loud, a soft, melodious sound that reverberated off the windshield back into my face.
A warmth filled my chest cavity, an inner glow that no earthly thing can replicate, it spread to my extremities, peace, an invigorated serenity.

When you watch cars drive through an intersection, everyone has the same look. It's a look of focused concentration, a non-expression, really. I wonder if the cars at the red light thought I was touched as I crossed Ella today. I was beaming, and I still to this minute have no idea why.

But that's okay. I accept the gift.